Re: [xsl] Problems generating w-circumflex character for HTML output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Problems generating w-circumflex character for HTML output
From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:57:54 +0200

Gordon Ross wrote:
Hi,

I'm using three XSLT files to generate an HTML output.

The first, is a base file - this generates the actual HTML. This has the output encoding of <xsl:output method="html"/>

The second, just contains a series of <xsl:variable> elements to define text strings (I have multiple versions of this second file for different languages) This has the output encoding of <xsl:output method="xml"/>

The third just imports the first two (again, there is one per language), it has the <xsl:output method="html"/> tag.

All three files have their encoding set to UTF-8

Some of my xsl:variable values have unicode characters in. Mostly, they work fine if I just use the &#x....; format to specify the unicode character. (e.g. &#x00E2; gives me a lower-case a with a circumflex on it)

However, I'm having great dificulty trying to generate a lower-case w with a circumflex.

The unicode character for this is 0175(hex) If I put that in my stylesheet, I get a captial a with a circle above it followed by a greek u in the final HTML output.

In HTML the w-circumflex character is defined as &wcirc; - and if I put that in an HTML document it displays fine.

If you see this, you're generating UTF8. The browser should display this correctly if the correct encoding is declared in

a) the content-type HTTP header and
b) in the HTML meta tag.

If you're using the "html" output method of XSLT, this should happen automatically.

I'm using Xalan 2.6.0 as my XSLT engine.

What silly mistake am I making ? What can I do to generate a w-circumflex ?

Thanks,

GTG

Best regards, Julian

-- <green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760