RE: [xsl] Omit Data While Using Copy

Subject: RE: [xsl] Omit Data While Using Copy
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:37:24 +0100

> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>
> <xsl:template match="kapitel">
>
>   <h2><xsl:value-of select="titel"/></h2>
>
> 	<xsl:for-each select="hanvisning">

> select="substring-before(substring-after(@from,'('),')')"/>.xm
> l</xsl:attribute><xsl:value-of
>
> select="node()"/></a></br>
>
>   	</xsl:for-each>

> name="href">2.xml</xsl:attribute>Return to Home Page</a>
>
>   </xsl:template>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>

> I suspect this wasn't the best way to accomplish this, but it
> does work.
> Since I am just starting to use xsl, I'd prefer to learn to
> do things the
> correct way, rather than modifying code to make it do what I
> need it to.
>
> Any suggestions to improve this code would be greatly appreciated.

Two suggestions:

1. It's usually easier to use attribute value templates. Replace:

<a><xsl:attribute name="href">2.xml</xsl:attribute>Return to Home Page</a>

with

and

<a><xsl:attribute name="href">
 <xsl:value-of
select="substring-before(substring-after(@from,'('),')')"/>.xml</xsl:attribu
te>
  <xsl:value-of select="node()"/></a>

with

  <xsl:value-of select="node()"/>
</a>

2. Use apply-templates and template rules rather than xsl:for-each and
xsl:value-of.

Beginners tend to reach for for-each and value-of because they seem simpler
and more familiar. But using "push" processing with apply-templates and
template rules isn't difficult to master and leads to much more easily
maintainable code.

Michael Kay