Re: [xsl] regexs, grouping (?) and XSLT2?

Subject: Re: [xsl] regexs, grouping (?) and XSLT2?
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:24:25 -0400

On Aug 10, 2004, at 10:54 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

If mods:dateIssued were defined in the schema as an instance of the union type m:date...

Not following all this, but dates are uncontrolled in the MODS schema (which is developed and maintained by the Library of Congress).

There is simply an attribute that allows one to indicate what kind of encoding one is using; e.g:

<dateIssued encoding="w3cdtf">1967-08-22</dateIssued>.

Is it, then, technically right or wrong to have the following?

<dateIssued encoding="w3cdtf">1967</dateIssued>

So, Mike, are you saying I can define functions in the stylesheet to work with the above? Or must the schema itself define the dates in such a way as they're valid, and I then need to rely on the schema for processing (which doesn't sound like fun; something I really dislike about the world of DTDs, actually)?

Bruce