[Fwd: Re: [xsl] How to report errors to stdout from xslt?]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: [xsl] How to report errors to stdout from xslt?]
From: Don McClimans <dmcxslt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:47:24 -0400

G. Ken Holman wrote:
At 2004-07-25 08:51 -0400, Don McClimans wrote:

What I would like to do in my xslt script is generate an error message

Such communication from the stylesheet to the operator is done using <xsl:message> optionally with a terminate="yes" attribute to halt processing.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

In case anyone else wonders: both xalan and msxml3 work well with this. If terminate="yes" is specified, they write the message text to stdout (or perhaps stderr, I didn't bother to test which), and terminate with a non-zero return. If terminate="no" is specified, xalan produces the message but no termination and a zero return when done processing. Msxsl3 does nothing (no message at all), and has a zero return when done processing. Terminate="no" is the default for both processors, despite what the msxml docs say.

Thanks for your help.

Don