RE: [xsl] transformation help

Subject: RE: [xsl] transformation help
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 05:59:26 -0600

Yes, this was just brought kindly to my attention.  It's 5am where im at
so at least I have the excuse of still having sleep in my eyes? :)

BTW Michael, spent the weekend doing a few of things...

1) Becoming familiar with 8.0 ... VERY NICE!!!!  I'm excited also to see
Saxonica come to fruition.  I will definitely do all I can to help
promote it in any and every way that is appropriate.

2) Taking the 8.0 code and beginning the conversion to C# .NET.  I think
you might actually be surprised at the results.  I don't want to get too
far ahead of myself but the monster that I thought it was going to be
may not be that big of a deal after all.  Makes sense... just like a
well formed speech or written human language is easier to translate into
another language that the opposite - so is quality source code.  Pretty
straight forward when you think about it...

3) Preparing both the base project web site as well as the Workspace on
GotDotNET.com which is actually pretty much ready to go now but there
are still a few things to finish up so if not today then definitely
tomorrow.

But, and this is a question to the community as a whole...  Pieter is
slammed with work related projects at the moment otherwise he would be
asking this question...  But it needs to be asked now before I push any
buttons on the GotDotNET site....

The Question: GotDotNET offers some advantages over source forge as far
as integration of source control into VS.NET as well as a community of
developers who are all working on the same platform.  Does anybody have
any strong opinions one way or the other as to why we should or should
not finish setting up the workspace there as opposed to SF? If so,
please speak up now because things are ready to go and I just want to
make sure that when that button is pushed it's not going to cause a
detrimental ripple effect to the support we receive from both the
XML/XSLT/XPath/XQuery community as well as the C# .NET and the Java
communities.  If SF is the better place and enough people feel strongly
about this then Im not opposed to changing course.  Whatever's best for
the project is my biggest concern and at this point I just don't know
for sure if that GDN or SF.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

And thanks to Michael for yet another FANTASTIC release of Saxon!
Congratulations are due for pulling off a combination of some pretty
amazing tasks all at the same time.  Hats off to you Michael...

If anybody hasn't been to the new site or downloaded the latest 8.0B or
8.0SA bits (the difference between the two is on the site) I encourage
you to do so. (http://www.saxonica.com)

I also encourage everyone to help support Michael in his new company.
If not for all the hard work in writing his books, supporting the
community, and of course developing one of the finest XSLT/XPath
processors available: FOR FREE (well, I guess the book cost a couple
bucks but something had to!) then do it for the simple fact that Saxon
8.0_B and 8.0_SA are:

1) The only processors available that come within a few decimal points
of being 100% compliant with all three of the W3C specs (XSLT2, XPath2,
and XQuery)

2) EXTREMELY fast and efficient: Comparable to and in most cases faster
than every other processor on the market (and right now there all only
able to process 1.0 code.)  Ah, let me correct myself... Oracle has been
working feverishly to get there 2.0 compliant processor finished so
kudos to them and there efforts!  If there are others, please make an
announcement to the list so that we can be aware of them and begin the
evaluation and testing process.

3) IMHO Both Saxon 8.0 B and SA aew the standard for every other
processor to set there sites on.  If anyone is able to accomplish a more
robust speed demon like what is found in the Saxon product lineup it
will be because Dr. Kay pushed the envelope and set the standards for
many, many, years to come!

Again, Best of luck to you Michael!  I for one, and I know many others
will be doing the same, will support you and your new company in any and
every way we can.

Best regards...  Oh, and expect to here form either Pieter or I soon
regarding the fist iteration of Saxon.NET.v.0.1.00_8.0.0.

<M:D/>