Solved was Re: [xsl] eacutes driving me nuts

Subject: Solved was Re: [xsl] eacutes driving me nuts
From: Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:02:35 -0700

On Jun 9, 2004, at 9:50 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

If you are using less sophisticated methods, you 'might' get away with setting
the encoding for the XML document correctly ( the <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="ISO8859-1"?> ), but it would still not produce the character
sequence "&eacute;", but the character directly.

Alas, setting the XML encoding as ISO-8859-1 doesn't help:

[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] FOP 0.20.5
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[ERROR] Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.

Trying to force UTF-8 in the header gets the same result.

However, a light bulb went off. I picked out the offending chapters (fortunately, only 3 of them in a 477-page mss) and did a quick search-and-replace.

And lo, it all now works perfectly.

Rather than muck with someone else's perl, I'll write a post-processor program to do substitution.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This....is wrong tool." -- Zathras