Re: [xsl] how to figure out what level a node is on

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to figure out what level a node is on
From: Morten Andersen <mortena@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:38:54 +0200

Thanks. That was exactly what I wanted to do.

At 12:40 14-05-2004, you wrote:
Hi,

It is hard to understand your problem from your post, in general will help if you can add a sample to show your data, what XSLT code you already tried, if any, and the expected output.

I will take a guess and consider that you are interested in the level of imbrication of a given element inside the document. In that case you can just count the number of ancestors.

xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<menu>
    <item name="topMenu">
        <item name="subMenu">
            <item name="subSubMenu">
            </item>
        </item>
    </item>
</menu>

stylesheet:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="text"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:apply-templates select="//item"/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="item">
[<xsl:value-of select="@name"/>-<xsl:value-of select="count(ancestor::*)"/>]
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

result:

[topMenu-1]

[subMenu-2]

[subSubMenu-3]

Hope that helps,
 George
George Cristian Bina
<oXygen/> XML Editor - http://www.oxygenxml.com

Morten Andersen wrote:
I'm building a menu using xslt. Therefore I need to figure out what level an item is on.
How can I figure that out?
thanks

Morten Andersen
Master of applied mathematics and computer science
Amanuensis
Interest areas:
-e-learning
-software engineering