[xsl] killing xslt

Subject: [xsl] killing xslt
From: bry@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:11:11 CET

note the following:
http://weblogs.asp.net/mfussell/archive/2004/
05/13/130969.aspx

Well this is sort of weird for me, I
remember when the xslt 2.0 recs were first
coming out, and all the arguments we had,
one of things I considered then, and I think
I argued it, was that the hideous marriage
with xsdl was basically driven by microsoft,
natural enough given their wholesale
acceptance of xsdl.

Given that there was some concern that some
of the smaller xslt processors would not be
able or would be unwilling to make
improvements to support xsdl I felt that
this urging on of the schema integration was
definitely a drawback, given that probably
there would only be a couple of processors
willing to support it. That in essence xsdl
support was killing off xslt.

Now I'm not so sure about accidentally.

IIRC MS announced some time back that there
would be no further updates to MSXML, other
than I suppose service packs and bug fixes.
So MSXML will not be supporting XSLT 2.0,
and .NET will not be supporting XSLT 2.0,
and thanks to the largeness of XSLT 2.0, the
largeness of XSDL, and of course debates
about the meaning of large areas of the
schema spec how many processors for the next
version of the language can be counted on?
And what is the likelihood of those
processors being cross-platform compatible?