Re: [xsl] Comparing grouping techniques in terms of performance

Subject: Re: [xsl] Comparing grouping techniques in terms of performance
From: Kevin Jones <kjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:40:07 +0100

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 22:39, Pieter Reint Siegers Kort wrote:

> I still would like to know if there are any sites that publish
> this type of comparison - if not, I would be interested in
> setting up this myself as part of my site.

Hi,

There are unfortunately very few published performance
guidelines. The best overview is probably in the FAQ at
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect4/N9883.html.

I think it is fairly well understood that all others things being
equal using for-each will be quicker than template matching. The
caveat is that the improvement is often so small as not to be
important and template solutions are normally much cleaner. In
this particular case (with simplified stylesheets) I measured a
4% difference for a file with 2000 entries in favour of using
for-each. As the document size grows so does the difference.
This was on the Sarvega processor, other processors may be
different.

Regards,
Kev.