[xsl] "Performance" in XQuery (Was: Re: Xquery for 'hard data probs' was RE: XSLT vs Perl)

Subject: [xsl] "Performance" in XQuery (Was: Re: Xquery for 'hard data probs' was RE: XSLT vs Perl)
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:34:24 +0100

> So we have one author on the subject of XQuery stating outright that
> XSLT is more capable and another respected author stating that XSLT is
> superior over XQuery in situations of manipulating in memory xml.
>
> Hmmm, perhaps it will ultimately be performance characteristics that
> become the main reason to use Xquery over XSLT.
>
> Many thx for anyone's comments on this.

A word of caution when speaking about performance. Just have a look at some
recent threads of
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Feb/

and you'll see that by "performance" some members of the WGs understand
obtaining incorrect, distorted results faster -- for example, getting
unordered items as a result of a query.

We should clearly say: "No, Thank you" to such offers of performance and in
fact ask that the "performance" of producing incorrect results be reduced to
zero.

See for example:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Feb/1006.html

Cheers,