Re: [xsl] Limit on XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Limit on XML
From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:56:25 -0500

>Is there any limit on the size of XML for XSLT transformation  using
XALAN..

That would be a better question for Xalan's own mailing lists...

The brief answer for Xalan-J is "we load the source document(s) into the
JVM's heap, and that's your primary constraint." I don't think we'll run
out of anything else before you run out of swap space.

I believe the Xalan-C is also constrained (only) by available virtual
memory, but it's been two years since I looked at that code so don't take
my word for that.

(We've got a bunch of pending thoughts on how to reduce the working set,
but we haven't been able to find the manpower to pursue them. I'm still
hoping.)