Re: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span

Subject: Re: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:27:25 GMT

  I think most of us have control of our target environments, so
  portability comes last compared to functionality, performance and
  maintainability.

Ah maybe that's the main difference. Not sure if its my TeX background,
but I place portability above all three of those. the reason I want to
write code in a standard language is that I know wat happens when
someone else runs it in some other place. I don't really care if there
is a non-portable extension that makes it go ten times as fast. I might (but
probably wouldn't) use it in private projects but I wouldn't use it in
code that's freely distributed.

  Having to convert RTF's to a node-set is a pain, the
  difference between the two is only theoretical, and the sooner they're
  forgotten about the better :)

Agreed, but I'd rather people said version="2.0" if they want to use
this definite improvement that's available in version 2.
Note however there has been one implementer on this list in the last
week or so stating that the differences are not theoretical (and that
dropping RTF is a bad idea).

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew