Re: [xsl] hard problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] hard problem
From: Richard Light <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:25:12 +0000

In message <000001c3e8e9$546e13b0$6401a8c0@pcukmka>, Michael Kay <mhk@xxxxxxxxx> writes
This looks like a good use case for an extension function transform(doc,
stylesheet) which can be invoked from XSLT and returns the result of
transforming a document using a given stylesheet.

Such a function has been suggested from time but I've never seen a
convincing use case for it before.

Let me add another ...

I have a web application which fetches museum records from a database as XML and styles them on the fly. For an initial overview of hits, I want to render a set of these records as a summary list with clickable links to each record. When the client clicks on one of these links, I want to display one of these records in detail. Exactly the same XML, two different renderings. At present I am having to use "modes" to achieve the desired effect, and I'm not even thinking about other different renderings that users might quite reasonably ask for. This extension function would be just the ticket.

Richard Light

--
Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy