RE: [xsl] Use of variables in XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Use of variables in XSLT
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:31:10 -0000

It's equally true, surely, that you use integers in three different
ways, sometimes as <xsl:value-of select="3"/>, sometimes as {3}, and
sometimes as 3.

A variable reference is an example of an XPath expression. There are
three places XPath expressions can appear in a stylesheet:

* as values of attributes such as "test" and "select" that expect an
XPath expression

* within {} in an attribute value template

* as a subexpression within another XPath expression.

I guess these correspond to your three cases.

Michael Kay