Re: [xsl] Contents overflow in table cell ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Contents overflow in table cell ?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:58:57 -0500

At 2003-12-17 15:18 +0000, Jonny Pony wrote:
I just read that "overflow="hidden">" isn't implemented yet in FOP.

_____________________
Clipping as specified by the overflow="hidden" is not yet implemented. If you have long words overflowing table cells, try to get them hyphenated.

This sounds like they are addressing your problem in their documentation.

insert zero width spaces (U+200B or &#x200B;) to allow FOP to wrap
Since I'm not this familiar with programming. What does it mean "FOP to wrap"? Wrap what?

Wrap lines ... since they will not wrap long lines that are not hyphenated or broken with spaces, they are recommending that you inject information in the line that will be detected and acted upon.

I've often cited the use of a zero-width space to algorithmically break a line.

Is there a font I can add where every character has the same width so I can use the substring()-function to cut off characters?

These fonts are called "monospaced" fonts ... in my teaching for sans-serif I use "Lucida Console" and for serif I use "Courier" ... another is "Letter Gothic MT" ... and there are *many* others. One quick way I've found to examine this property of fonts is to open up either Microsoft Word or Open Office Writer, edit text that has both wide and narrow letters like "White Calli lilies", select all of the text and open up the font characteristics dialogue. This presents your selected text in the selected font, but updates the presentation in real time as you peruse the different fonts using the up and down arrows. Those fonts for which the wide characters take up as much space as the narrow characters are monospaced fonts.

I hope this helps.

--
North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-02-09
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc