RE: [xsl] UNIX-ANSI encoding with NT4 and IE6

Subject: RE: [xsl] UNIX-ANSI encoding with NT4 and IE6
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:44:48 -0000

> IE6 on a NT4 machine crashes while processing docbook-xsl:
>
> in german: "... die angegebene verschluesselung wird nicht
> unterstützt" i try to translate: "...encoding is not supported..."
>
> the quoted file is saved as UNIX ANSI.

I've never heard of "UNIX ANSI". When Microsoft use "ANSI" as the name
of a character encoding, they are most usually referring either to
iso-8859-1, or to their own proprietary variant of it. (My theory is
that the copy they were using said "ANSI" on the cover, because ANSI
republish ISO standards in the US under their own brand, and it never
occurred to them that there was more than one ANSI standard.)

What does the encoding in the XML declaration actually say? If the
actual encoding is iso-8859-1, change it to say encoding="iso-8859-1".

Michael Kay