Re: [xsl] Generating XML fragment to DOM node using XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Generating XML fragment to DOM node using XSL
From: Steve Dussinger <sdussing@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:05:50 -0800

On 12/16/03 1:44 PM, "Gupta, Raman K [CI]" <raman.k.gupta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> I want the root node to be any currently existing element in
>> my DOM tree. I can control the choice of which node is my
>> parent in the destination tree, but if I try to put more than
>> one node under that parent element, I get this error, even
>> though I don't think the error is correct.
>
> Steve,
>
> Have you checked http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N2602.html,
> specifically question 4 (merging two documents)?
>
> Cheers,
> Raman

I hadn't seen that one, but it doesn't do what I'm after, either. My problem
is that I already have a DOM document that I want to insert into. I'm not
combining documents to make a whole new document.

It seems like all of the existing examples use this technique to combine
documents, rather than add a new nodes to an existing document, like I need
to do...

I'm starting to get the sinking feeling that what I need to do isn't
possible using XSLT alone, and I'm going to need to come up with some hack
the post-processes a new DOM tree and copies the results into the tree I
want. It's not the solution I was hoping for, but nothing better seems to be
presenting itself...

Thanx,
   Steve