Re: [xsl] Problem sorting alphabetically: all uppercase entries come first.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Problem sorting alphabetically: all uppercase entries come first.
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:03:52 GMT

> You can see it works quite well except that words starting with
> uppercase letters come first. I am guessing it is sorting by ASCII
> values.

We had a long thread on sorting uppercase a while back.
It turns out that the whole world (including at least some xslt
implementors, but not including Stan and me) took a very unreasonable
reading of the sorting specification in the XSLT spec.

the end result is that you should get "sensible" results in all
processors but you will get different results.

I think in this case you want a case insensitive sort and its basically
english text so..

<xsl:sort select="translate(@level1,'ABC...','abc')"/>
etc

should give the same result on all systems.

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew