Re: [xsl] how do java xsl processors handle xsl:import?

Subject: Re: [xsl] how do java xsl processors handle xsl:import?
From: Frédéric Laurent <fl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:08:18 +0100

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do xsl processors handle xsl:import with regard to (don't really
> know how to say this) storing xsl:templates in a
> javax.xml.transform.Templates object?
>
> For sake of example, say I want to xsl:import files that contain 100
> xsl:templates. The *importing* file overrides all 100 xsl:templates with
> new ones. [I want to cache the javax.xml.transform.Templates object in
> memory for a webapp]. Will the Templates object contain 200
> xsl:templates or does it discard the overriden ones?

Take a look at the setURIResolver[1] method on the TransformerFactory
class.
These method is called by the XSLT processor when an xsl:import
function in your XSLT is found.
Then, If you write your own URIResolver [2], you can load your xsl file in
cache and give it to the XSLT Processor...

factory.setURIResolver(new MyResolver(...));

class MyResolver implements URIResolver {
  public Source resolve(String href,String base) {
	// manage your cache and return a Source to the Processor
  }
}

[1]
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/xml/transform/TransformerFactory.h
tml#setURIResolver(javax.xml.transform.URIResolver)
[2] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/xml/transform/URIResolver.html

HTH

Fred

--