Re: [xsl] multi-document question

Subject: Re: [xsl] multi-document question
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:55:36 GMT

> If I run the template to create the separate documents, I get entities
> again.  Why?  Is it something about the document function?

entity expansion is done by the xml parser, before XSLt processes the
input so the stylesheet sees the same input whether or not it uses
entities.

Most systems, in the html output  method output characters using entity
references (however they were input) for those characters that have
entities in html.

But you are using xml output in which case there are only five entities
defined. (lt gt apos quot and amp) If your character data includes a <
or & then most systems will use a lt or amp entity (as opposed to
the alternative of a numeric character reference). Clearly a <
character can not be linearised as < as it would be taken as markup.

The only other way in which you could be getting entitiy references in
xslt output would be to use disable-output-escaping, in which case, the
standard advice applies: don't use disable-output-escaping.

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew