RE: [xsl] Generating xmlns attribute in root element

Subject: RE: [xsl] Generating xmlns attribute in root element
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:22:21 -0000

> Can someone please post a small XSLT stylesheet that outputs
> a result tree containing an xmlns attribute on the root
> element, similar to this?

> <head/>
> <ul>
> <li>Any XHTML elements</li>
> </ul>
>
> (without an xml declaration or doctype)
>
> I can generate html:xmlns or xmlns:html, but not just xmlns.
> I'm tearing my hair out!

You don't get any control over the prefix that's used in the output
(which is a problem if you want to produce output that's DTD-valid,
because DTDs can be prefix-sensitive).

But I would expect most engines to serialize the literal result element
do the same with

<xsl:element name="html" namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

You didn't actually tell us what you tried.

> Uh, I'm using MSXML3 (I kinda wish I could turn back time and
> use, say, Saxon or Apache Xalan, but I have a bunch of
> MSXML-specific stuff that I'd need to change).

When will they ever learn?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind...

Michael Kay