[xsl] Generating xmlns attribute in root element

Subject: [xsl] Generating xmlns attribute in root element
From: Graham Hannington <Ghannington@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:48:16 -0000

Can someone please post a small XSLT stylesheet that outputs a result tree
containing an xmlns attribute on the root element, similar to this?

<head/>
<ul>
<li>Any XHTML elements</li>
</ul>

(without an xml declaration or doctype)

I can generate html:xmlns or xmlns:html, but not just xmlns. I'm tearing my
hair out!

This is, indirectly, to do with the "HTML Help Contents to Aurigma Deep
Tree" XSLT stylesheet I mentioned in a previous email: I've got that
stylesheet working now for "XHTML-ified"-via-Tidy .hhc files (which contain
the <html xmlns="..."> attribute), but now I want to use the same stylesheet
with already-XML .hhc files I produce via a different method. For the same
stylesheet to work with both types of .hhc file, I need either to strip the
xmlns attribute - and XHTML doctype - from the Tidy-generated .hhc, or add
an xmlns attribute to the others. I figured the latter would be easier. The
upshot of this XSLT stylesheet is that I can now display what used to be
delivered only in compiled HTML Help (.chm) format also as uncompiled HTML,
via the Web, with an expandable TOC of thousands of nodes... kinda like
RoboHelp's WebHelp, except that (thanks to the Aurigma Deep Tree Javascript)
this costs me nothing except a little development time *and* the TOC is
(like Microsoft's MSDN Library website) load-on-demand, rather than
monolithic.

Uh, I'm using MSXML3 (I kinda wish I could turn back time and use, say,
Saxon or Apache Xalan, but I have a bunch of MSXML-specific stuff that I'd
need to change).

Graham Hannington