[xsl] Can not convert #STRING to a NodeList! Error..

Subject: [xsl] Can not convert #STRING to a NodeList! Error..
From: "arun prasath" <arunwaits@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:10:21 +0530

Hi,
In my XSL,
from the parent template I load a XML file using document() function. and I pass this as parameter to child templates.
<xsl:call-template name="main">
<xsl:with-param name="labelsfile" select="document('English.xml')"/>
</xsl:call-template>

In my child templates, I am retrieving using
   <xsl:param name="labelsfile"/>

I also have declared a key(xsl:key) in the importing xml file in my xsl.
   <xsl:for-each select="$labelsfile">
       <xsl:value-of select="key('label','ecollab.businessfollowedby')" />
   </xsl:for-each>

when I transform this using my java program, I get the following exception.
Can not convert #STRING to a NodeList!

I want to know why we get this error usually.
please help
regards
s.arun prasath