RE: [xsl] Utilizing dual processors with Saxon

Subject: RE: [xsl] Utilizing dual processors with Saxon
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:51:27 +0100

> I'm really not well enough versed to know...
> Can Saxon leverage use of both processors in a dual processor unit?

Product-specific questions are best raised on the list for the product,
in this case saxon-help at sourceforge.net

> I'm working on a dual processor machine (2 1.4GHz Intels),
> and 2 GB or RAM.
>
> I am attempting to process 1 master XML document 16.3 MB is
> size. My processor tacks out at 50% (+/- 2%) depending on
> what is running in the background. I think the processor is
> the weak link in this equation, as my memory usage never spikes out.

Saxon runs a transformation in a single Java thread, so it's not going
to take advantage of a second processor unless the Java run-time is
cleverer than I think it is.

> It is taking about 5 1/2 hours to run the complete file for
> output ... that's rather unacceptable.
>
> Would another parser do any better?

Probably not. If it's taking that long, it suggests there is probably
some O(n^2) logic in your code. It's possible another processor could
optimize things differently, but it's a long shot. It's much more likely
that you can solve the problem at the application level, for example by
using keys. But you haven't given any clues as to what your stylesheet
does, so it's impossible to say.

It's a good idea to do some timings with different sizes of source
document to see how the elapsed time increases with size. This can give
you useful clues as to where the problems are.

Michael Kay