[xsl] dynamically change modes based on parameters? have default modes? how? short code examples please :)

Subject: [xsl] dynamically change modes based on parameters? have default modes? how? short code examples please :)
From: "SANWAL, ABHISHEK (HP-Houston)" <abhishek.sanwal@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:04:23 -0500

Yes. But I am having a bad time trying to use and push parameters
through other templates. Of course, I know now the way to "play" with
XSL.

But there is one important question.

There are multiple layouts I have inside these nested templates and I
need to conditionally apply certain kind of layouts using some
parameters. Now I am not sure if I can dynamically change the MODE that
applies for the next "nested" call to a template ( like this. )

<xsl:apply-templates select="./SectionBody"
mode={$SectionBodyModeParam}/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="./Paragraph" mode={$ParagraphModeParam}/>

Is this possible? If so then what is the correct syntax and way that I
can use params here.

{ OFF-TOPIC CURIOSITY
Is it possible to make an apply-tempaltes call to different kinds of
children except one ( I have that expression working), but push
different modes for each.

Is it possible to assign "default" modes that get called when that
template match only has a template without any mode defined?
}

If this is not (even if it is)... would it be better to call a
single template (with no modes, but has internally different layouts it
that can be applied)  like so...

<xsl:apply-templates select="./SectionBody"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="./Paragraph" mode={$ParagraphModeParam}/>

...and have the templates use internal logic <ifs and chooses> to decide
between applying the template layout based on the parameters it was
passed ?

I am trying to create this paradigm of functions with
"variables/parameters of normal programming languages" with different
scopes of operation (global/local.. and specify accurately the scope of
the parameters) in the above, I think. Not completely successful yet,
but would like to see it happen.

:)

Thanks. Please do advise on the above

Abhishek Sanwal