[xsl] generating dynamic XSL to apply to a single XML document

Subject: [xsl] generating dynamic XSL to apply to a single XML document
From: "Steven Bethard" <bediviere@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:59:49 -0600

I have a single XML document that contains the data.  There are several
different views of this data that I need to display, and exactly what
goes into a view will be determined by some selections in an HTML form.
So my plan had been to incorporate a CGI script that would take the form
parameters, generate the appropriate XSL stylesheet, and format the XML
document using this stylesheet.

The only way I know to apply a different XSL stylesheet to the same XML
document is something like:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE page [
<!ENTITY data SYSTEM "data.xml">
]>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="style.xsl"?>
<page>
&data;
</page>
which (I believe) would mean I would have to save a file called
"style.xsl", and then have the CGI script return the above as xml data.

I'd rather not create a bunch of temporary files (for the "style.xsl"
files) if I can avoid it. Is there a better way to do this?

Steve