Re: [xsl] XSLT Cookbook - HELP

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Cookbook - HELP
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:29:31 -0400

Linc,

Of course I can't speak for the book, but it does strike me you may be finding it poorly organized because it is organized for a purpose different from the one you are putting it to -- rather than a set of tutorial examples to be run through in sequence, think of it as an ad-hoc reference guide and mine for ideas. The title "XSLT Cookbook", especially in the context of other O'Reilly titles such as the Perl and Python cookbooks, might be the hint here. (Most cooks don't make all the recipes in a cookbook, in order, even to learn how to cook. :-)

Once you've grasped the concepts in Jeni's book, I should think the best way to learn would be just to write code and solve problems, turning to the more advanced resources when necessary. This is partly because XSLT is now a rather huge and various thing (being applied widely to solve a great range of problems), so examples to solve one type of problem may have little or no bearing on another, and it makes sense to explore the problem space starting in territory closer to home.

Just $0.02 from an unconcerned bystander. Anything about writing XSLT we can help you with?

Cheers,
Wendell