[xsl] Multiple root nodes in a node-set

Subject: [xsl] Multiple root nodes in a node-set
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:43:24 -0400

Is there anything in the XPath 1.0 data model which prohibits a node-set from containing more than a single root node? For instance, could a node-set be imagined which contains document nodes for two or three documents?

I don't think you can construct such a thing using either XPath or XSLT 1.0. However, in other environments, it might be feasible.

In particular, this is relevant to XML canonicalization which can operate on node-sets as well as complete documents. If it's legal for a node-set to contain multiple roots, then I need to make sure my canonicalizer handles the case of multiple roots. If it's not, then I need to make it throw an exception.

Right now my suspicion is that this is legal, but I'd love it if someone could point me to the section of the XPath spec that proves me wrong.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold