AW: [xsl] global variable and position() once more

Subject: AW: [xsl] global variable and position() once more
From: Markus Abt <abt@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:00:41 +0200

Hi,

if you want output everything after the "Description" text node, try this:

<xsl:template match="/">
  <Document>
    <!-- select all nodes after the Description text node -->
    <xsl:apply-templates select="html/body/node()[preceding-sibling::text()[starts-with(normalize-space(.), 'Description')]]"/>
  </Document>
</xsl:template>

<!-- copy all nodes with their descendants. Adjust to your needs -->
<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
  <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The Xpath works as follows:
-  html/body/node() selects all child nodes of the body element.
-  [ ... ] gives a condition to the previous selection.
   It is tested for every selected node.
-  preceding-sibling::text() selects all preceding siblings (for every selected node above).
-  starts-with(normalize-space(.), 'Description') tests for the "Description" text node.
   It is tested for every preceding sibling.
-  So, preceding-sibling::text()[starts-with(normalize-space(.), 'Description')]
   selects only this node.
-  If there is such a preceding sibling, the outer condition ([...]) is true.
-  The result is, only the html/body/node() with this condition true are selected.
-  apply-templates then processes this nodes.

The second template just copies everythig through, discard it, if you have
your own templates to handle further processing.

Hope this helps,
Markus
Markus Abt
Comet Computer GmbH