[xsl] Re: Re: Incrementing a Global variable

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Incrementing a Global variable
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:03:31 +0200

> The ability to see where the boundaries are, and how to break a problem
> into the easy and tough parts for this peculiar technology, are
> higher-level skills that come only with experience.
>
> Nonetheless, I agree with others that the solution is not to try to turn
> the language into something else. That would only make things worse.

I am deeply impressed with the fact that this is the first time in three
years when someone in this group asks that XSLT be radically changed (killed
actually), only due to his own lack of understanding and inability to solve
even a simple problem.

Let's make it clear: XSLT is side-effects free by definition. This is an
*axiom*.

Whoever does not agree with the axioms may just select another
programming-language system. In this concrete case I received an off-list
email suggesting that the OP forgets about XSLT and uses FORTRAN.

Let's stop this thread -- we cannot turn Fortran programmers into XSLT
programmers and they cannot turn us into Fortran programmers.

Or shall we allow people, who refuse to do their homework to continue to
consume precious bandwith? This thread has stopped to contribute to the
goals of the xsl-list -- let's move to something more interesting and
useful.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.