Re: [xsl] Re: Incrementing a Global variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Incrementing a Global variable
From: Rajendra S Rawat <rajsrawat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:12:45 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The problem of generating serial nos
> > comes frequently in real world situations
>
> Which numbering schemes would be easier with
> incrementing variablesthan
> with the existing xslt facilities, xsl:number,
> position() count() etc.

Sorry to chip in.This discussion started with my
problem and it's still unsolved.

These numbering schemes fail together to do a simple
trivial thing.For example --- my problem(though it's
not that simple)! Which could have been done straight
away if there were some provision of incrementing a
variable in XSLT.

Beleive it or not there is a strong need of one IMHO.
there was no need of deprecating xsl:assign or fixing
a bug
 where <xsl:variable name="a" select="$a+1" />
worked some time ago.

If there were no need then nobody would have bothred
to write ft:assign to do this thing.

Ok there are some problems introducing it. But an
working extension/provision/solution is highly
recommended.

This 'll not make XSL procedural but solve problems of
both communities(saving a lot of time and energy in
reinventing the wheel),As some solutions(ft:assign
already exists (which are (may be) not
straightforward.

Currently I'm trying to integrate Americo Solution
but actual problem has not 3 but 10 columns each with
a bit complex content.I think I have to integrate all
these contents in <item vars...

Regards
Raj