Re: [xsl] Incrementing a Global variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] Incrementing a Global variable
From: Jeff Kenton <jkenton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:10:32 -0400

The XPath 2.0 draft has a "for" construct. Sometimes this will do what you want (for simple things), and sometimes you will still need recursive template or function calls.

Mukul Gandhi wrote:
The XSLs (by Jarno and by -- Americo) are brilliant..
I was trying to solve the problem, but could'nt come
up with the solution soon..

Though the issue about incrementing the variables has
been discussed a lot on this list, I feel if there is
a feature where some sort of variable incrmenting is
possible in XSLT, it will save lot of programming
hours producing a trivial thing as generating serial
nos. I am not suggesting to deviate from the viewpoint
that XSLT should be a functional language.

The XSLT 2.0 spec is in draft stage. If appropriate, these features can be thought to be added. Probably more knowledgeable persons on this list -- M. Kay, Dimitre, David Carlisle, Dave Pawson, Wendell, Jeni, Jarno, Americo.. can comment on the appropriateness of this idea ;)

Regards,
Mukul