RE: [xsl] Does the html tag work with xsl?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Does the html <link> tag work with xsl?
From: Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:38:27 +0300

Hi,

> I have a simple question regarding the use of xsl WITH XHTML
> to which I have
> been unable to find the answer, and it is this:
>
> 	+-------------------------------------------------+
> 	| Can I apply an xsl stylesheet to (x)html        |
> 	| on the client-side *USING THE HTML <LINK> TAG*? |
> 	+-------------------------------------------------+

No. Well, of course some browser might support

  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/xslt+xml" href="foo.xsl"/>

etc. but I don't know of any.

> For example: In 'somepage.html' (an xhtml document) I can
> apply (relatively
> trivial) formatting using css via the link tag:
>
> 	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> href="simpleFormatting.css" />
>
> I wish, however, to apply the full power of xsl (eg:
> inserting icons next to
> headings), but
>  - *without* having to rename the file to 'somepage.xml'

Tweak the server setting to use a different MIME-type for *.html documents in that directory.

>  - *without* using the <?xsl:stylesheet...?> processing instruction

What's wrong with it? (Other than that is should be "xml-stylesheet", not "xsl:stylesheet").

> Moreover, wishing to combine both css and xsl formatting, I
> would like to
> thus format 'somepage.html' through the following header:
>
> 	<?xml version="1.1"?>
> 	<head>
> 		<title>XHTML Page with headings: blue (css)
> with right-aligned icons
> (xsl)</title>
> 		<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/xml"
> href="powerfulFormatting.xsl" />
> 		<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> href="simpleFormatting.css" />
> 	</head>
>
> In my browser (IE6) this doesn't seem to work. I see there is

Last I check, MSXML doesn't support XML 1.1.

> a question of
> mime type (text/xsl vs. text/xml) between different browsers,
> but   neither
> works for me.

Use the

  <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="powerfulFormatting.xsl"?>

Cheers,

Jarno - Colony 5: Follow your Heart (Hyperheart)