RE: [xsl] Info on Transforming to PDF

Subject: RE: [xsl] Info on Transforming to PDF
From: Scott Powell <scotthpowell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

There are several options available to you for
creating a PDF dynamically, depending on your
platform.

If you want to stick to the XML/XSL world, try XSL
Formatting Objects and any of several FOPtoPDF
generators.  Check out
http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html for a free setup
from the Apache folks.  This solution would operate on
your server (I think that's your option B).

If you're on Cold Fusion, there are several tags out
there that will help you generate a PDF file on the
fly.

I'm sure there are similar components for ASP and a
few other platforms.

Also, Adobe offers a Created PDF service
(https://createpdf.adobe.com/index.pl/2023945358.59827?BP=IE&v=AHP)
that might suit.

Not sure about the ability to automatically print out
the document though.  I don't think you can use the
browser's scripting engine to tell another app to
print something (I hope not anyway).  And I'm not sure
if you can do some sort of "onLoad" script within the
PDF file to tell Acrobat to print.  The user may have
to hit the button themselves.

Hope that helps.
Scott

Hi,

I have a requirement for users to start printing web
pages in PDF
format.
Can anyone tel me the most appropriate method and
where would be the
best
place to start researching it?

The assumption is a 'Print' button somewhere on my
HTML page that will
either (a) generate PDF document and automatically
print it (b)
retrieve
the 'already' generated PDF document and print; or (c)
present the user
with a PDF document which they must click the print
button in the PDF
toolbar. As not everyone will want to print I guess
option A or C would
be
the most practical (if in fact option any of these
options are even
available)

Thanks all!