Re: [xsl] jaxp vs xalan

Subject: Re: [xsl] jaxp vs xalan
From: "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:23:16 -0400

Joseph Kesselman wrote:

Does anyone know of any case-by-case comparison of
jaxp to xalan?

Xalan implements TrAX, which is the JAXP API set for stylesheet
transformation, so this isn't an either-or question;

I would side with Michaels opinion as well. Maybe your question requires some clarification.

Yes, both Xalan and Saxon have "Trax" Interfaces, Yes you can access both Saxon and Xalan API's independent of that Trax API. You have to understand that the Tranformer and Factories that you aquire from the JAXP/TRAX api are the implementions of those Factories/Transformers in Xalan or Saxon.

You could in such instances cast directly the Transformer or Factory to that implementation class to access any possible non-JAXP functionality. IMHO, They are not really mutually exclusive.

it's roughly
equivalent to asking whether you should use SAX or Xerces.

Again, your not comparing "like with like" SAX is a generic parsing API that Xerces happens to support, there are other implementations of XML parsers which provide SAX API's (Crimson, Alfred, etc).

I believe Xalan still has some features which can't (yet?) be accessed
through TrAX and require talking to Xalan directly. These may or may not be
important to you for your application.

See my comment above concerning casting.

-Mark Diggory
Harvard MIT Data Center