RE: [xsl] newbie Q: is xsl going away?

Subject: RE: [xsl] newbie Q: is xsl going away?
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:56:27 +0100

> What I wonder about is the 'hopefully' in the statement you cite:
>
> At 11:07 AM 8/22/2003, Tommie wrote:
> >At 10:35 AM -0400 8/22/03, Kucera, Rich wrote:
> > >Vendor spokesmodels keep repeating the assertion that XSLT is
> > >hopefully going away.  Is this true,
> >
> >Highly unlikely (at least in the next 5 years). Interest in XSLT
> >training is up, subscriptions to XSL-List are up, as is traffic....
>
> Why are vendors hopeful that it'll go away, or why do they
> believe we would
> welcome its disappearance?

There are several vendors trying to sell competing technologies to XSLT,
so of course they are hopeful that it will go away. I think nearly all
the criticisms I see nowadays are from people who are trying to sell
their own proprietary transformation language.

The remarkable thing is how successful XSLT has been despite its
challenging learning curve.

Michael Kay