Re[2]: [xsl] newbie Q: is xsl going away?

Subject: Re[2]: [xsl] newbie Q: is xsl going away?
From: David Mitchell <dmitchell4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:40:47 -0500

>>>Vendor spokesmodels keep repeating the assertion that XSLT is hopefully
>>>going away.  Is this true,
WP> Why are vendors hopeful that it'll go away, or why do they believe we would
WP> welcome its disappearance?
WP> I realize we may be talking only of a hypothetical vendor, or of a single
WP> sore thumb. Yet the notion seems to persist in places that developers don't
WP> like XSLT. I suppose there are those who don't. Yet its use continues to
WP> spread -- this can't be only because someone is forcing us to use it
WP> against our better judgment, can it?

I've met a number of developers who are uncomfortable with XSLT. On
some projects, developers are expected to work with XSLT and XPath
with little or no time to learn it.

The imperitive to declartive shift often never happens as they try to
do everything with xsl:if and xsl:for-each. I've met a few with
experience maintaining XSLT-driven sites who never learned XPath
predicates and axes. It doesn't surprise me that they are frustrated.

Those that have made the shift (or understood that a shift was
needed), generally have a much happier spin on XSLT.

I think this is true for any language. The more dramatic the shift
(and a functional language with XML syntax was a pretty big shift for
me) the grumpier people are until they 'get' it.

--David Mitchell