Re: AW: [xsl] exclude result prefixes doesn't stop prefix from showingup.

Subject: Re: AW: [xsl] exclude result prefixes doesn't stop prefix from showingup.
From: "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:11:25 -0400

After testing it appears that Xalan behaves differently than Saxon on the following stylesheet:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
	version="1.0"
	xmlns:ddi="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI"
	exclude-result-prefixes="ddi"

	<xsl:template match="@* | *">
		<xsl:copy>
			<xsl:apply-templates select="* | @* | text()"/>
		</xsl:copy>
	</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="ddi:codeBook">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
<docDscr xmlns="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI">
<citation>
<titlStmt>
<titl>
<xsl:value-of select="ddi:stdyDscr/ddi:citation/ddi:titlStmt/ddi:titl"/>
</titl>
</titlStmt>
</citation>
</docDscr>
<xsl:apply-templates select="*"/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Xalan effectively suppresses the excess xmlns:ddi="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI" namespace in the result document while Saxon does not. This would appear to be a issue with Saxon and exclude-result-prefixes.

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory wrote:

Yes, this is what I thought as well. But exclude-result-prefixes doesn't accomplish this with my current config.

I'm going to switch over to Xalan and test it there to see if Saxon and Xalan behave differently in respect to this case.

-Mark

Michael Kay wrote:

Thanks for the idea, but it didn't change the behavior, the result still looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<codeBook xmlns="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI">
   <docDscr xmlns:ddi="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI">
       <citation>
           <titlStmt>...

Now you do have a namespace declaration in the result which is not being used, and is only there because it was in scope for the literal result element that created it. This *is* the situation where exclude-result-prefixes works.

Michael Kay

Markus Abt wrote:

Mark,
try to put the namespace node at the root element of the result,
not at xsl:stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet
version="1.0"
xmlns:ddi="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI"