Re: [xsl] numbering and document()

Subject: Re: [xsl] numbering and document()
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:03:42 -0500

Wendell Piez wrote:

Felix,

The cleanest way to do this (IMO) would be to separate your processing into two steps: do the merge first, then style the resulting composite document. There may be other ways, but my guess they'd be ugly and hackish.

As it happens I just had to do this for a current project. I find it works well to do a "transclusion" pass, saving the result in a variable and then just do "apply templates" on that variable.

Here's the basic technique I use:

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="//include"><!-- Any inclusions in top-level doc? -->
     <xsl:variable name="transcluded-doc">
       <xsl:call-template name="do-transclusion"/>
     </xsl:variable>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="$transcluded-doc" mode="normal"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="/" mode="normal"/>
    </xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:when>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="/" mode="normal">
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

The "do-transclusion" template is just an identity transform plus handling for the inclusions. If you want to be really sophisticated you can do id and reference rewriting (for example, to implement XInclude in a way that allows component documents to have the same ID values).

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx