RE: [xsl] exclude result prefixes doesn't stop prefix from showing up.

Subject: RE: [xsl] exclude result prefixes doesn't stop prefix from showing up.
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:57:50 +0100

> PS if you are copying elements _why_ do you want to change
> their names by changing their namespace? One of the main
> points about the namespaces mechanism is that elements can be
> moved from document type to document type while retaining a
> globally unique name.

I think it's a common requirement to change the namespace, because
designs are imperfect, and because people do things like including a
version number in the namespace URI when the schema changes. But the key
point is that if you are changing the namespace, you are not copying the
element, you are writing a new element that retains some of the
properties (like the local-name()) of the old one. Which is why
xsl:element name="{local-name()}" is not overkill at all, it is the
correct and natural solution.

Michael Kay