Re: [xsl] exclude result prefixes doesn't stop prefix from showing up.

Subject: Re: [xsl] exclude result prefixes doesn't stop prefix from showing up.
From: "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:33:47 -0400

I did see that particular Q/A in the XSL FAQ and in your book, I agree it works, but I feel like its a bit of an overkill

Initially I had tried to write the stylesheet using the DDI namespace as the default namespace, like below. but this failed to detect the default namespace in the source document so none of the source elements were properly matched. I thought to myself, there should be some way I can match the default namespace in the source document? But I can't find anything that does this. I came across the #default entity, but this doesn't seem to fit either.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
    version="1.0"
    xmlns="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI"
    exclude-result-prefixes="ddi"

    <xsl:template match="codeBook">
       <xsl:copy>
         <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
        <docDscr>
               <titl>
                 <xsl:value-of select="stdyDscr/citation/titlStmt/titl"/>
               </titl>
         </docDscr>
         <xsl:apply-templates select="*"/>
        </xsl:copy>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Michael Kay wrote:
exclude-result-prefixes only affects the namespaces copied from the
stylesheet by a literal result element, it doesn't affect copying of
namespaces from source documents. In any case, the codeBook element is
in the namespace http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI, so the namespace must
be declared. exclude-result-prefixes only suppresses namespaces that are
not used in any element or attribute name, and this namespace is used.
What you want to do is not to suppress the namespace declaration, it is
to change the name of the element, which you can do by using
<xsl:element name="{local-name(.)}"> in place of xsl:copy.

Michael Kay