[xsl] xslt2 - namespace attributes for output from called templates

Subject: [xsl] xslt2 - namespace attributes for output from called templates
From: Tom Schutzer-Weissmann <xsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:56:50 +0100

Hello All,

I'm using Saxon 7 and xsl 2 to create web pages, and I noticed that some of
the output was decorated with 'xmlns=""' and some of it wasn't.

It turns out that if I specify a namespace to the top level tag of my output,
eg
then output that comes from functions, called templates, copies of variables
etc.,
will contain an empty namespace attribute.

Of course, my mistake was to specify the namespace in the first place. With
<xsl:output method="html">, it will be inserted for me, and no empty
namespace attributes will appear.

But if I wasn't making html, then I could have this problem. Would every
function, called template etc. have to re-specify the namespace attribute?

Thanks for your help,

Tom SW
~ceci n'est pas un sig~