Re: [xsl] Re: EXSL's dyn:evaluate() and XALAN vs. xsl:use-attribute-sets

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: EXSL's dyn:evaluate() and XALAN vs. xsl:use-attribute-sets
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:16:20 -0700 (PDT)

> >  According to the XSLT 1.0 spec "The value of the use-attribute-sets
> >  attribute is a whitespace-separated list of names of attribute sets. Each
> >  name is specified as a QName ..."
> >
> >  A QName cannot be calculated dynamically -- it must be known at compile
> >  time.
>
> I'm aware of that but my understanding of the dyn:evaluate extension is,
> that is let's
> say 'on level above the xslt processing'.

No, extension functions are invoked at run time. They are not part of a
pre-processor.

> While reading the spec on
> exslt.org
> the following sentence confirmed this somehow:
>
> ...The string is always evaluated exactly as if it had been literally
> included in place of the call to the dyn:evaluate function.

This does not say at all that dyn:evaluate is invoked prior to the XSLT
transformation -- what made you think so?

> And if you're right, how can one determine for which params etc.
> dyn:evaluate will work?

dyn:evaluate() works in your case. The problem is that a QName cannot be substituted
by something (the result of dyn:evaluate()) returned dynamically at run time.

> >  Therefore, what you're trying to achieve is impossible in this way.
> >

> Do you have an ide, how to achive it? I also tried with chained templates
> and parameters but
> then I really stuck with the problem with qnames.

A simple example: Why not include an top-level element belonging to a non-xsl
namespace and having the necessary attributes. Then you can just copy them.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.