Re: [xsl] pagebreak between elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] pagebreak between elements
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:21:41 -0400

Jelmer,

This is a tough problem.

Take a look at the thread in the archive "Extracting a verse" from last December, starting at http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200212/msg00814.html.

Personally, *if* you are always serializing your output (e.g. never running a transform in a display engine but always writing a file), I find David Carlisle's solution there to be nice and elegant. Use at your own risk, of course.

A true XSLT-based solution, which does not rely on writing tags to output (an option that should hardly be mentioned, and never condoned, though David and now I have suggested it), is *hard* -- a couple of people in that thread took a stab at it, but I haven't been able to take the time to satisfy myself that it's actually been solved.

You may also want to think of non-XSLT solutions. Your processing requirement runs right up against XML's representing a single tree -- in your case, the wrong one. The reason this problem is not more common than it is is that most XML projects do not try to represent multiple hierarchies in their markup. TEI projects being the notable exception.

If you are a member of the TEI, you might take this question to TEI-L (http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/tei-l.html), where a number of experienced practitioners may be able to help. If you're not a member -- join!

Good luck,
Wendell