RE: [xsl] Bread-crumbs nav from nested hierarchy in reverse order

Subject: RE: [xsl] Bread-crumbs nav from nested hierarchy in reverse order
From: "Simerman, Joshua Michael" <jsimerma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:02:58 -0500

> I'm trying to create bread-crumbing for the
> navigation of a website. I
> have the site hierarchy in a forwards nested
> document like below. The
> only way I could figure out how to get the bread
> crumbs at all was to
> get a backwards result. Once I have the result doc,
> I dump it as a
> srting to the browser. Got any ideas of a simple way
> to reverse the
> order in xsl, or a better way to write my first xsl?
>
> Here's how my xml document is formed.
>
> <page>
> 	<title>Home Page<title>
> 	<pageid>1</pageid>
> 	<page>
> 		<title>Parent Page</title>
> 		<pageid>2</pageid>
> 		<page>
> 			<title>This Page</title>
> 			<pageid>3</pageid>
> 		</page>
> 	<page>
> </page>

Thanks, everyone. I took a little code and ideas from the posts and came
up with this. It uses tail recursion, combined with some less verbose
axis traversing. Armen's code didn't actually reverse the output when I
ran it against my xml doc, it came out the same, but without the extra
>>, but was more efficient.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
	<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
indent="yes" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
	<xsl:param name="pageid" select="23"/>
	<xsl:template match="/">
			<ul>
				<xsl:apply-templates
select="//page[pageid = $pageid]"/>
			</ul>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template match="node()">
		<xsl:if test="pageid">
			<xsl:apply-templates select=".."/>
			<xsl:call-template name="bread-crumb"/>
		</xsl:if>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template name="bread-crumb">
		<li>
			<xsl:element name="a">
				<xsl:attribute
name="href">index.cfm?pageid=<xsl:value-of
select="pageid"/></xsl:attribute>
				<xsl:value-of
select="normalize-space(pagetitle)"/>
			</xsl:element>
			<xsl:text> &gt;&gt; </xsl:text>
		</li>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Josh Simerman
Graduate Assistant, Web Developer
Systems & Accounting Graduate Programs
Indiana University, Kelley School of Business