Re: [xsl] Client Side XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Client Side XSLT
From: Nic <nferrier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Aug 2003 19:37:00 +0100

"Michael Kloster" <kloster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am aware that adding
>
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="test.xsl" ?>
>
> to an xml document will cause browsers that support XSLT (IE 6, Mozilla,
> etc) to transform the xml using the specified test.xsl template.  Is it
> possible to direct XSLT enabled broswers to transform XML using a specified
> template without adding the above directive to the xml?  I am imagining
> something like:
>
> http://mynamesmike.com/test.xml?stylesheet=test.xsl
>
> Or some other request parameters that the browsers are hard coded to
> recognize as client side XSLT directives.  Note, I am interested in client
> side processing of the XML/XSLT, not server side.
>
> I checked the FAQs and didn't see this subject discussed.  Is anyone aware
> of a something like I'm suggesting?  Browser specific solutions are fine.

I'm not aware of anything like that.

Browser support for this is very poor right now. One of the things
I'd like is a reliable way to query the browser for this
functionality, that is to ask the browser if it supports XSLT styling
of XML to HTML (or XML to RTF, or whatever).

If that was possible one would be able to transform HTML on the
server side for clients that didn't support it but get the UA to do
it when it was able.

The problem is that the transform result tree could be any document
type... that whole content-type vs actual content issue rears its
head.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk