RE: [xsl] enclose output of transform in CDATA section

Subject: RE: [xsl] enclose output of transform in CDATA section
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:02:24 +0100

We had a lengthy discussion on this last week. CDATA sections are a
particular way of representing text in text nodes. They are a way of
indicating that "<" and ">" within the text are not to be treated as
markup characters. If the thing inside a CDATA section looks like an XML
document, then the purpose of the CDATA section is to say "this isn't an
XML document even though it might look like one". Therefore, a CDATA
section can never contain an XML document, by definition.

The correct way of nesting one XML document inside another is to nest it
directly, not to hide it in a CDATA section.

But I know you're going to come back and say "don't blame me for the bad
design, I'm just the programmer who's been told to implement this".
Well, there are various techniques possible including
disable-output-escaping, saxon:serialize(), or extension functions. But
they are all dirty, and you should try and get the design improved
first.

Michael Kay