RE: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...

Subject: RE: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...
From: "Martinez, Brian" <brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:49:52 -0600

Section 4.3 of the XHTML spec says: "All elements other than those declared
in the DTD as EMPTY must have an end tag. Elements that are declared in the
DTD as EMPTY can have an end tag or can use empty element shorthand . . ."
Section 2.1 defines "must" as indicating a mandatory requirement either on
the implementation or on conformant documents.  So if Saxon 7.x were to spit
out <div/> when serializing XHTML output, I'd report it as a bug.

If this is a bug in the spec, at least it's one that works to an author's
advantage, in that it makes it easier to produce XHTML for applications that
may not be fully conformant, and it still meets the requirements for
well-formedness.

cheers,
b.

| brian martinez                           brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| lead gui programmer                                    303.357.3548 |
| cheap tickets, part of trip network                fax 303.357.3380 |
| 6560 greenwood plaza blvd., suite 400           englewood, co 80111 |
| cendant travel distribution services   http://www.cheaptickets.com/ |