RE: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...

Subject: RE: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...
From: "Martinez, Brian" <brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:36:57 -0600

But <div/>, which is the element Andrew specifically referred to, is *not*
defined as EMPTY in the DTD.  It should not be written minimized.

> > > Because it doesn't matter for XML?
> >
> > Nor do a lot of features, but they are here and being used everyday.
> > Saying 'it doesn't matter for xml' is being very short sited.
>
> But after all you *are* using XSLT's XML output method. An in XML, it
> doesn't matter. An application that claims compliance to the
> XML spec (such
> as an XHTML browser) MUST accept both notations.

XSLT 1.0 processors don't do XHTML.  You can have XML (with some
inappropriate element minimizations) or HTML (which is not well-formed).
This is a limitation of the current spec which XSLT 2.0 should correct,
since it will allow for XHTML output.

> (probably
> anyone arguing
> > (http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-starttags).
> > >
> > > It would help for people that try to feed XHTML into
> non-XHTML compliant
> > > browsers. Why do you try this in the first place?
> >
> > I give up....
>
> Again: it's known that IE does not support XHTML. Why don't
> you simply serve
> HTML instead?

The W3 site serves conformant XHTML.  IE has no trouble with it, at least my
version (5.5).  An XSLT 1.0 processor is not the right tool to use if you
want fully-conformant XHTML.

cheers,
b.

| brian martinez                           brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| lead gui programmer                                    303.357.3548 |
| cheap tickets, part of trip network                fax 303.357.3380 |
| 6560 greenwood plaza blvd., suite 400           englewood, co 80111 |
| cendant travel distribution services   http://www.cheaptickets.com/ |