RE: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...

Subject: RE: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:37:16 +0100

> Nope. XHTML *is* XML. A browser that does understand <div></div> but
> doesn't
> understand <div/> clearly does not conform to the XHTML standard.

All elements other than those declared in the DTD as EMPTY must have an
end tag. Elements that are declared in the DTD as EMPTY can have an end
tag or can use empty element shorthand

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.3

This is straying from the point.  The point is that if <foo></foo> and
<foo/> are identical, and MSXML decides on an identity transform to
output <foo></foo> - why can't this be made available as a command line
choice.

It wouldn't break anyone's output, it would merely help 1000's (probably
much more) of xslt'ers.  I simply cannot understand anyone arguing
against the addition of this.  Even the xml spec states that its
optional... (http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-starttags).